Cape Borda Lightstation Self-Guided Tour
- Duration: 60 Minutes (approx.)
- Location: Kangaroo Island
- Product code: A200157002
The Cape Borda lighthouse was built in 1858, and is the third oldest remaining in South Australia. It’s also the only square stone lighthouse in South Australia and only one three lighthouses in Australia to retain a Deville lantern room.
It was built to guide sailing ships arriving off the Roaring Forty trade-winds and into the Investigator Straits.
Apart from warning ships of danger, the lightstation at Cape Borda was also a lookout for Russian ships. A small cannon was installed there – it was used to signal ships of danger before radio was available and to appear as if there was a military presence.
The light was converted to automatic operation in 1989.